Fathima

Miss Quintessential reviews !

If the book is a guaranteed Mind fuck , then HELL YEAH !

The Demon Lover - Juliet Dark, Carol Goodman Soooooooo not a love story ! No wait i'm confused . I mean it was a love story but had more shades of lust , it was more like a lusty love story .. But romance is'nt the central theme of this book ... Ooooh i'm soo not able to decipher my own thoughts on this book .
This is one of those books that leave you with a conflicted feeling . Whether you loved the book , was it just okay or what ! And then i was wondering if i should give it a 3.5 stars or a 4 stars .
Too many choices to make you know !!! Well lets get on with the review :
Firstly , the thoughts on the cover - beautiful cover , it really makes you want to read the book . Atleast thats what did it for me .
The story line of The demon lover was really interesting . Firstly it takes about an Incubus , and thats enough to stir my interest . It also talks about a woman , who dreams erotic fantasies with a guy she doesnt even know . Well that will definitely get you thinking ' hmmph , typical love story whats new ' , to that i'd definitely say its not about romance at all . This is where the tricky part of the book comes into play . Just when all this starts happening and we'd start thinking that this is where romance comes into picture , sorry wrong answer . This is where the book turns into a jumbo mystery and to solve it we dig deep into gothic literature , and trust me there are too many references to them . Characters are introduced , very strange charaters are introduced and this turns the book into a major puzzle . But it was'nt had to figure out , why the sudden intro of new characters . All part of the big plan .
Honestly , the book started off on a really good and a spooky note for me . The feeling of natural horror was felt and the effect that it has on you lingers on for a while , but after the first half the book just starts getting boring and weirder . It does pick up pace , but not quite enough to get you reeled in again .
Recommended to Goth lit lovers and anyone looking for a incubus love-lust story .