SPEECHLESS !!! That was the first reaction i had or rather the state i was in after i finished reading this book . Words cannot describe the feeling stirring up in me . If a painter could paint using words instead of colours , then this book would be called a " Masterpiece" and Melissa Turner Lee could be considered the exquisite painter of this fine work of art .
Cover-speak : Honestly , the cover says it all .. No questions asked , it clearly and descriptively gives us an idea as to what a reader can expect from this book . But the surprise bit lies in the intensity of the contents of the book . Totally not cliche , totally unexpected .
The Earth Painter is the story of Holly Scruggs , a girl who constantly lives under the shadows of her parents . What does that mean you ask ? Well , she basically lives her life the way her mother wants her to live giving little or no importance to what she wants or how she wants to live her life . Her likes and dislikes dont matter as long as it suits the lifestyle her parents choose to live . Until the day she meets Theo . Something changes inside Holly the day her life crosses paths with this mysterious yet intriguing stranger in the school's auditorium . What follows is a rollercoaster ride filled with secrets , twists and turns . Theo is'nt just an ordinary guy . He's a painter . And not just any painter , he is the painter of the earth . The guy responsible for painting life on earth .
Things i loved about this book :
1) Not your average fairytale romance : This book is sooo much more than just a guy and a girl meeting and then falling in love . There were so many elements in this book that took me by surprise . Things that i could never think of in the ways its been potrayed in this book . And
mind you , these ar'nt unknown elements . They are very well known and probably stuff's we study in schools and colleges !! * That's a major spoiler , if you can guess what i mean * ..
2) Emphasis on reality : Even though this book is a supernaturally based romance , it had a lot of elements that reflect the different kinds of 'truths' prevalent in the modern society . Abusive relationships , Peer Pressure etc were a major part of the storyline . Also sometimes we look at certain things or objects and wonder , why is it that this has been made this way or what was the purpose of making something the way it is found to be . Well i can definitely say that some of those questions were answered in this book .
3) Originality to the core : This book just beams with originality .Pure and creative imagination takes this book to an entirely new level . As far as my view goes , taking into consideration books that i have read i could safely say that this story is just so full of life and exciting
and completely unheard of . Never ever have i read a book that speaks of earth painters , sculptors and sciences . Hats off to the author and her creativity .
4) Holly and Theo : Holly was definitely a surprise filled character for me . Oflate i've read a lot of books where the main female lead start to get on your nerves with her stupidity and impatience . But not Holly . I really loved reading about her . Never a single moment of
disappointment . The way she is potryaed in the beginning of the story and how she transforms to what she becomes by the end was such a joy to read . And Theo .... I just get all tongue tied when it comes down to him . I soooooo wish i find someone like him someday .Just saying ....
And their romance , that was kinda new too . nNot the hate-love kind of stuff . I loved how their relationship starts off and grows as time and story progresses . An absolute treat :)
5) The beginning of a new story : The way the book ended just left me wanting for more . I really wanted to know what had happened or what had triggered those changes . The author cleverly manages to hold the interest of the reader by throwing in a startling revelation in the end . Thereby creating an enticing stroryline for the sequel . I just cant wait to read it .
Parting thoughts : I was left speechless in the end . Absolutely dumbfound , i was trying to find words to describe the awesomeness that this book was . Something new and fresh , readers will not be disappointed . Recommended for those who love originality and newness , this book is sure to make you wanting more by the end !!! Melissa you are simply superb .